Erectile dysfunction or disorder (ED) is the inability to develop and maintain an erection for satisfactory sexual intercourse or activity. Erectile dysfunction or erectile disorder are the preferred terms as opposed to impotence. Obviously, it can be a very uncomfortable and emotionally intrusive issue. At MedX Medical Clinic, we have helped numerous men in South Florida return to sexual health.
While ED is common for older men, it is also common for men with diabetes, especially those with type 2 diabetes. It can stem from damage to nerves and blood vessels caused by poor long-term blood sugar control.
At MedX Medical Clinic, our doctors can help any patients who suffer from ED, whether it is from natural causes or if a patient is diabetic. We have assisted men in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach County.
Most men have occasionally experienced some difficulty with their penis becoming hard or staying firm, but this is not normally cause for a diagnosis of erectile dysfunction. This condition is only considered a concern if satisfactory sexual performance has been impossible on a persistent number of occasions for some time.
Broadly, two forms of erectile dysfunction can affect men’s sex lives – the main cause is either medical or psychosocial.
Here, psychosocial refers to the psychological effects – including the effects of social relationships – on sexual performance. Medical conditions can also affect psychological well being, meaning that, while the primary cause of sexual impotence is typically either medical or psychological, there is often overlap between the two.
Erectile dysfunction used to be known more widely as ‘impotence’ before the causes became better understood and successful treatments came into use. Impotence is a term that is still in use, however, although it can be seen as pejorative.
Our licensed doctors will examine the issue and create a treatment plan that will provide results for ED patients suffering from diabetes. From making diet and lifestyle recommendations to our vast state of the art treatments, we can help make a major difference with this issue.
If you are interested schedule a Free Consultation today!
Fast facts on erectile dysfunction
Here are some key points about erectile dysfunction. More detail and supporting information is in the body of this article.
- Erectile dysfunction is defined as persistent difficulty achieving and maintaining an erection sufficient to have sex.
- Causes are usually medical but can also be psychological.
- Organic causes are usually the result of an underlying medical condition affecting the blood vessels or nerves supplying the penis.
- Numerous prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol and smoking can all cause erectile dysfunction.
- Diagnosis, with the help of a doctor, can identify the likely cause by taking a history, discussing symptoms, performing blood tests to establish the presence of conditions such as diabetes and heart disease, and physical examination.
- Typical first-line treatment of erectile dysfunction involves the use of medications called PDE-5 inhibitors, including the well-known drug sildenafil (Viagra).
- Mechanical devices are also available to help achieve an erection. Patients experiencing occasional erectile dysfunction and who do not respond to medical treatment may be candidates for surgery to fit a penile implant.